Users Online: 964
Home Print this page Email this page
Home About us Editorial board Search Browse articles Submit article Ahead of Print Instructions Subscribe Contacts Login 
ORIGINAL ARTICLE
Year : 2017  |  Volume : 6  |  Issue : 1  |  Page : 30

Comparison of Ifosfamide, Carboplatin and Etoposide versus Etoposide, Steroid, and Cytarabine Cisplatin as Salvage Chemotherapy in Patients with Refractory or Relapsed Hodgkin's lymphoma


1 Department of Hematology and Medical Oncology, School of Medicine, Isfahan University of Medical Sciences, Isfahan, Iran
2 Department of Internal Medicine, School of Medicine, Isfahan University of Medical Sciences, Isfahan, Iran
3 Medical School, Isfahan University of Medical Sciences, Isfahan, Iran
4 Departments of Hematology and Medical Oncology, Shiraz University of Medical Sciences, Shiraz, Iran
5 Medical School, Research Deputy of Isfahan University of Medical Sciences, Isfahan, Iran

Correspondence Address:
Valiollah Mehrzad
Department of Hemathology and Medical Onchology, School of Medicine, Isfahan University of Medical Sciences, Isfahan
Iran
Login to access the Email id

Source of Support: None, Conflict of Interest: None


DOI: 10.4103/2277-9175.201687

Rights and Permissions

Background: Refractory or relapsed Hodgkin's disease (HD) occurs in 10-50% of patients. The treatment of choice for these patients is high-dose chemotherapy (HDCT) and autologous stem cell transplantation (ASCT). Response to salvage chemotherapy (SCT) partial remission (PR) is necessary before HDCT with ASCT. However, its applicability is restricted mostly to patients responding to salvage chemotherapy. Optimal salvage regimen for these patients is unclear. In this study, our aim was to compare the efficacy profiles of ifosfamide, carboplatin, and etoposide (ICE) and etoposide-steroid-cytarabine-cisplatin (ESHAP) (cytosine arabinoside, cisplatin, and dexamethasone) regimens in the salvage treatment of relapsed or refractory HD. Materials and Methods: In this retrospective analysis, 114 patients with primary refractory or relapsed HD who received ICE or ESHAP salvage regimen were included. Results: Of 114 patients, 47 (41.2%) were females and the median age was 31.5 years. Response could be evaluated in 114 patients. Of 114 patients, 38 (33%) achieved complete remission (CR) and 21 (18.4%) achieved PR, leading to an overall response rate (ORR: CR + PR) of 51.4%. In the evaluable ICE group (n = 41), rates of CR, PR, and ORR were 21.9%, 17.1%, and 39% and in the ESHAP group (n = 73), rates of CR, PR, and ORR were 39.7%, 19.2%, and 58.9% (for ORR,P = 0.04), respectively. Conclusion: In patients with relapsed or refractory HD, treatment with ESHAP seems to have higher rates of response than ICE regimen does.


[FULL TEXT] [PDF]*
Print this article     Email this article
 Next article
 Previous article
 Table of Contents

 Similar in PUBMED
   Search Pubmed for
   Search in Google Scholar for
 Related articles
 Citation Manager
 Access Statistics
 Reader Comments
 Email Alert *
 Add to My List *
 * Requires registration (Free)
 

 Article Access Statistics
    Viewed1365    
    Printed16    
    Emailed0    
    PDF Downloaded256    
    Comments [Add]    
    Cited by others 1    

Recommend this journal